Monday, 30 June 2008

Not Big and Not Green - probably leaves...


The Sock has just rushed out with her camera! After believing that a big green leaf had to be big and green the Sock noticed that other contributors to Emma's Big Green leaf day had included sempervivums and succulents. So here is the Sock's last minute contribution. The Sock had the hanging gabion idea BEFORE everyone else started doing gabion gardens last year! The Sock was there first she just didn't get round to planting it until last autumn.

Sempervivum pot with raoulia and some sort of furry oregano (possibly).



The Sock loves sempervivums and has quite a collection some of which (complete with exported woodlouse apparently) made it through the post and are now gracing a trough in Fat Rascal's garden in France.

6 comments:

Fat Rascal said...

WoodLICE actually! But as the French variety don't sport moustaches and berets it's now impossible to tell them apart -the entente cordiale rules in woodlouse world.

And you know I am a semp convert, they have found a very good home and are jumping out of the trough and colonising any nook and cranny they can find.

R. Pete Free said...

That gabion is utterly brilliant!

Arabella Sock said...

Thank you R. Pete free. I was pretty pleased the way it turned out and it gets a lot of admiration from passers by. The only problem with it was the weight so the succulents are planted through holes cut into a square pond basket placed in the gabion and then filled with soil and polystyrene chips to keep the weight down.

I meant to say in the post that the gabion was from

http://stones3.co.uk/ideas.php

emmat said...

that is really amazing. I love it. I forgot to include my sempervirum windowboxes in my green leaf post, which I'm slightly sad about... they just look fantastic. I had this idea that I wanted windowboxes that wouldn't mind not being watered, and that would grow quite slowly all through the summer, not need changing, and which would be totally pleasing from inside rather than from outside (they're on the first floor so not very visible anyway). I don't think I've ever had more constant pleasure from something I've planted than these gorgeous plants, all crawling over each other, such beautiful colours oh god I have to stop or i'll drive everyone nuts.

emmat said...

PS whatever you don't tell Heston Blumenthal about the furry oregano, he'll just take it over and make it his signature dish

Arabella Sock said...

Fernwood Nursery

http://www.fernwood-nursery.co.uk/

have got a stand at Hampton Court. They do fab sempervivums and jovibarbas (who could not want a plant with such a great name). I visited their nursery once and it was astonishing to see the row upon row of different varieties each so subtley different to the other.