Saturday, 20 September 2008

I say, I say, I say.....

What's the difference between hay and straw?

Haven't a clue? Neither has the Sock. And neither has Joe apparently as he put the wrong one under his pumpkin! "Hay will not protect the pumpkin from wet as it has different properties". The Sock quotes you directly from the BBC messageboards so it must be true!

Yet again the Sock is at odds with the general feeling that GW was a little boring this week! It was rich with comedy material and the Sock and Bedsock laughed all the way through. Although this might have been possibly because they started a little early with the apéros (Fat Rascal advises that apéros shouldn't be taken before 6.00pm but perhaps this changes to a bit earlier when the evenings start to draw in.) It was noticeable that Toby tried to ingratiate himself with the ladies of blogworld by planting heucheras although he may find that the 'caramel' can look very washed out and ropey but then so often pansies do too.

It was a shame on Thursday that Channel 5 felt obliged to put some ghastly sport stuff on in place of Doris Bonkers, Laurence LB, the bloke whose name one forgets who seems pleasant and Laetitia MyleeneKlass-alike. The Sock was looking forward to seeing two nice gardens trashed by Doris B. whilst jumping up and down and hissing "too many plants". Apparently Doris has a sign up outside her Veddw Garden saying

excuse the weeds, there are only two of us here.

This information was again taken from the Beeb boards and the poster went on to say "if the weeds were removed there would be very little to look at".

And in a week with a dearth of gardening programmes the final insult was to be sunk into the sofa all tucked up with the cats ready to watch Corrie only to catch the end of the magazine-style programme the One Show with the awful Christine Walkden droning away on it! The Sock does hope she is not going to become a permanent Celebrity Gardening fixture on this programme otherwise we will have to ensure that the TV is not turned on until all danger of her appearing is passed.

9 comments:

HappyMouffetard said...

Watch out Arabella. It's a slippery slope. First you start reading the BBC gardening boards, then you start quoting from them; before long you'll be a fully paid up Doris Bonkers yourself.

Apologies to all the Heuchera lovers (and I do like most of them, and have several) but I've just realised what 'Caramel' (and also 'Creme Brulee etc) remind me of, and why they make me feel uncomfortable. When I was young we occasionally had jelly and custard for pudding. These heucheras look like the jelly and custard when most of the jelly had melted into the hot custard. It used to make me feel sick.

Arabella Sock said...

Ha ha! Happymouffetard your advice came years too late! It won't come as a suprise to some of the nosier blog watchers that I was a fully paid up bonkers Beeb gardening board member for years until it all got too crazy even for a Sock and I escaped into the blogosphere.

I still have a little warm spot in my heart for the Beeb boards. In spite of the "crazoids and divots" that occasionally turn up on the TV board there are many good people, including professional gardeners and designers who give their time freely to answer questions in the Garden Clinic and Allotment boards with very good and helpful advice.

The boards also meant that I met with some fellow gardeners who I am now proud to call my friends.

But as some other bloggers find, watching the crazies can become a little addictive and eventually you just have to wean yourself off it!

Thank goodness I bought heuchera 'marmalade' rather than caramel or your description would make it very difficult to live with!

Fat Rascal said...

I'm fond of the beeb MB too - it is where I met Arabella and we had lots of fun and caused much mischief which we now find here.

I joined because I had questions I needed answers to and had suffered a hecatomb of older gardening rellies who used to fufill that need.

Questions asked of the locals also provoked merriment and dictons involving saints and the moon which weren't terribly helpful!

I was also grateful to find English speaking people to chat to so I too have a fondness for the beeb and all of human life which is found there.

HappyMouffetard said...

Don't get me wrong - I do 'lurk' there (often useful, sometimes like watching a car crash) but would be terrified to post for fear of invoking the wrath of the loons.

Arabella Sock said...

Are we all professional lurkers? I know I am.

It seems overly quiet in blogworld at the moment and there is a lack of Emma. But that gives me an idea....

I hope everyone is taking advantage of the sunshine and spending time more profitably in the garden. I planted out some of my new heucheras today and have a feeling the garden is beginning to look like the Solva plant stand!

VP said...

I've been meeting fellow bloggers today! :D

There was a food growing bloggers get together in Oxford organised by Patrick (Bifurcated Carrots). I met Simon (The Plot Thickens), the first person ever to link to my blog! :D :D, plus lots of other lovely people.

Now back to your post Arabella - I seem to remember when the One Show was launched, the piece about it in the Radio Times wheeled out Christine Walkden as the resident gardening expert :( I always switch off when the music comes on (preferably before if possible) to prevent a chance sighting or hearing of her. It's a Health and Safety thang of mine don't you know.

I tried not to go down the MB route - I believe that way lies madness, but even I've got sucked in from time to time.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the Beeb - very diverse mix of people, and you are abslolutely sure of a mega-punch-up about cat poo (about once a month on average)
Anonjan

Arabella Sock said...

VP the bloggers meet up sounds fun.
Oh noooooooooooo I will never turn the One show on again - but at least I know now.

Anonjan - er yes... not sure that the cat poo punch-ups are the best advertisement for the Beeb... LOL!

Arabella Sock said...

Hmmm... did I try and defend the Beeb? I just took a lurk and it somehow seems even more depressing than usual. It did used to be fun and even occasionally intelligent years ago but not much sign of that now. :(