Tuesday, 2 September 2008

It's not like cooking!

The title of the post refers to how Joe Swift described gardening on his book-promoting slot on Radio 4 Loose Ends last weekend. For those of you who missed it catch it on the I-player at 16.29 minutes.
Amongst the other great gems of wit and wisdom extolled by Joe was the fact - and the Sock knows you will all find this difficult to believe - that sometimes filming on Gardener's World has to be reshot more than once so "sometimes the same plant will be replanted 10 times on camera"!!!

clic for the flic

By the way Joe's book is called "Urban Garden Handbook" probably available from all good Poundlands.

9 comments:

granro said...

I love it!

You are so - heeheehee - cruel, Arabella.

What are the odds on Joe redesigning the shape of his beds on the allotment next year?

emmat said...

Poor Rosie Edwards you have made her have a nervous breakdown

granro, I want to put the first bet on dodecahedron
it's long odds but if it comes in, the beers are on me

Obelixx said...

That made me laught out loud - and very sorry for the poor unsuspecting rose.

ET - does Joke know what a dodewotsit is? I fear the maths will be beyond him. Perhaps he'll have sums double too. Proper ginger beer for me if he does it.

VP said...

Tee hee - guess who had to do the most retakes when filming at GW Live?

Arabella Sock said...

I saw him filming at Tatton last year - he looked well pissed off at how many takes there were. Not helped by the fact that Dishwasher Crab and I were cackling away in the background!

Fat Rascal said...

I'll have to buy his book, I'm always getting cooking and gardening confused!

R. Pete Free said...

Several years ago now, my local gardening club had a lecture from Gay Search's stunt man (I kid ye not). He was the guy who used to loosen all around big shrubs so that when she came to dig them up for the camera they came up easily!
Think he worked at Reading Uni plant department the rest of the time, but I might have remembered that wrongly.

Arabella Sock said...

Ha ha! You couldn't make it up "I was Gay Search's stunt man". There must be a book there somewhere.

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Brilliant flic, how on earth did you manage to wrangle that from the Beeb?

I missed the radio whatsit I'm happy to say, very happy to say.