Wednesday, 29 October 2008

The Sock goes Down Under


Yes the Sock is following in the footsteps of intrepid explorers such as, Matthew Flinders, Captain James Cook and Monty Don. The Sock is going where the Sock hasn't boldly gone before and is off to Australia for five weeks from Saturday. This is the Socks' holiday of a lifetime (so far) and they are doing it whilst they still have enough life left in them to enjoy it. The time for doing 1,000 things gets ever shorter and there is a lot to fit in.

The Socks will be flying to Sydney with a few nights stop-off at Bangkok on the way. After five days in Sydney the Socks will be touring the Blue Mountains and then down the coast to Melbourne and back up to Adelaide before flying home with a quick stop over in Singapore giving just enough time to have a few Singapore Slings at Raffles before the last leg home.

Here is the map of our route the Sock made for the Bedsock..


it was a tad unfortunate that the little joke of putting the shark icons on misfired and now the Bedsock says he won't go in the sea. Nevermind - the Sock loves swimming so he can sit on the beach with the binoculars and check the Sock isn't about to be eaten.

Will you miss the Sock? Don't worry she will be home in time for Chrimbo and the organisation of the Scents and Sustainability Christmas Ball where everything will be resolved - or not as the case may be. There will also be a load of new merchandise featuring your favourite horticultural heroes making ideal prezzies for your nearest and dearest. And obviously more photos of kangaroos than you can shake a stick at.....

The Sock will endeavour to send you all a postcard...

PS. For those of you worried about the Health and Safety dogs, Mutt is now completely recovered from the little spat and Jeff is as contrite as Russell Brand.

PPS. For those of you worried about precious puss-babies Hebe and Luka their Auntie Debbie will be house/cat-sitting them.

17 comments:

Crusty Bedsocks said...

G'day!! I hope you have left instructions for the house/cat sitter to leave her dinner defrosting on the worktop so the cats can pinch it! ;o)

Have a brilliant time Mr & Mrs Sock!

Arabella Sock said...

Oh thanks for that! I hadn't noted it I'll tell her that all defrosting food needs hiding otherwise the cats will need a hiding! Although hopefully they won't piss on my suitcase like the last cats did. (This wasn't discovered until the taxi arrived for the airport and a slight stench of cat pee emanated from my case too late to deal with. Not so funny on arrival in Sardinia when two police sniffer dogs, with two rather gorgeous dog handlers in tow, were all over me and my luggage obviously finding the smell of cat piss rather more interesting than any potential drug finds!).

jane said...

You really know how to live, Arabella!

My worst airport nightmare was when DBH got hauled off at Belfast - he had worn his grotty old barbour and had forgotten to empty his pockets of pigeon slaying ammunition...

Arabella Sock said...

I'm sure I heard a story like that on the news once, Jane. It wasn't your DBH was it?

I will know how to live when we finally get away but at the moment I am veering between high anxiety and catatonic inability. I don't like flying although I have done loads of short flights but none that have been really long haul and having planned the hols at the begining of the year I've had months to build up the worry!!

The Black Big Toe Nail said...

I shall miss the health and safety dogs. They are the Mutts Nuts.

Ah Australia! Didn't it used to refer to itself as the "lucky country"? How come it is getting you then?

Tell the Bedsock to avoid lone sharks as they attract the most interest.

For yourself; beware one eyed trouser snakes - They can cause a lot of trouble.

aspidistra said...

Your blogette will be sorely missed. Don't forget your flight Sock.

VP said...

Have a fantastic time - I'm sure you will :)

Be careful at Singapore airport though. I was stopped in Transit because the x-ray machine thought I had a gun in my luggage. It was a banana.

Oh and Sydney airport doesn't like souvenir metal Kookaburras in your hand luggage either.

Your WV says feral - I hope Auntie Debbie looks after Luka and Hebe a bit better than that!

VP said...

And now WV's writing your first postcard to us - it says dearall...

Arabella Sock said...

Oh nooooooo... I've posted my last pre-holiday blog and now I find that James is going to be on AT's show tomorrow! Will I be able to fight the impulse to blog about it rather than clean the house so it is nice for the cat sitter?

By the way BBTN when my Mum was in Australia having a quick roadside pee behind a bush a van load of workers drove past and all started shouting at her to beware of the snakes! Now I do wish I had practiced more with the Shewee.

The BedSock said...

Fight the impulse!

Arabella Sock said...

EEEk!

Yolanda Elizabet said...

Sounds like a great holiday and don't worry about James' appearance on AT's show. It's bound to turn up on YouTube, don't you think? ;-)

James said...

You will be much missed, Ms Sock. Beware of the Eucalypts.
I feel that polishing the cat and tidying up is more important than the AT Show. You don't want the fuzzypuss baby sitter finding anything incriminating at sock towers.

Dishwasher Crab said...

I hope you & the Bedsock have a truly lovely holiday Arabella - you will be missed!

Eat plenty of Tim Tams, watch out for roadkill (esp. on Roo Island) and if you see my mum give her a wave.

Fat Rascal said...

Bye, bye Socks, have a wonderful time!

I'll be a pale and skinny rascal pining for your return.

Unless JAS offers to adopt me....

Arabella Sock said...

Thank you all for your good wishes.
I will endeavour to have the best time possible.

Had I had time I would have awarded cowpat of the week to La Titchmarsh for talking all over James! He deserved a smack in the mush. Poor James hardly got to finish a sentence but he looked lovely so that made up for it.

See y'all in time for Chrimbo.

Arabella

James said...

Thank you for watching Arabella. I hope you have not been too scarred. Might I suggest a few weeks in the Antipodes in order to recover?