Saturday, 17 January 2009

The Three Willys

Ha ha! The Sock bets you were expecting some smut by the post title.. no such luck. Willys are what the Australians call a variety of wagtail. They really are the most charming and amusing little birds and the Socks were lucky enough to have some nesting in the tree near their verandah at one of the places they stayed. The pictures of the three chicks were taken in low light with a long lens so the quality isn't great but hopefully they will make you smile..







4 comments:

James A-S said...

My goodness: ornithology.
I thought that you spent all of your Australian sojourn lying in bed, eating macadamia nuts and watching television.
I am terribly impressed.

Arabella Sock said...

I will have you know that the Bedsock and I are quite keen but exceedingly amateur twitchers.

We did manage to combine both lying in bed watching TV with birdwatching when a couple of king parrots turned up on our balcony several mornings and came right up to the window and stared at us. The slightly scruffy female one looked quite disturbingly crazy!

clic for beakyones

VP said...

Aha - I see you're adding an Antipodean entry to my birdwatching from bed guide ;)

I'd completely forgotten about willy wagtails - or wully wagtails as the Aussies say.

Arabella Sock said...

Ah.. yes it suddenly came to me that I had had a discussion about birdwatching in bed somewhere. It just shows that you really do need to
do the book! Wrapped up in huge comfy quilt, propped up by a pile of pillows, a nice cup of coffee and binoculars to hand - a great way to start the day!