Monday, 16 February 2009

The Sarah Raven Chronicles


In case you hadn't heard "Sarah and her husband feature in a new documentary about Sissinghurst Castle in Kent. A series of 8 half-hour programmes, shown on BBC4 will chronicle how they both aim to bring farming back to the heart of the estate, reconnecting Sissinghurst to it's agricultural roots, whilst Adam researches it's fascinating history for his new book."

Fascinating. As reality shows go it's got to beat watching a load of small children eating each other when left to their own devices.

No doubt they will make a packet out of the whole thing but you won't see a reduction in the price of a packet Sarah's seeds. And don't even look at Sarah's dahlia collections - you can't afford them!!!! THE SOCK SAID DON'T LOOK! You do get a free carrot seed when you order any other ten packets of seeds though.

Now is the time however to put in your request for one of her lovely catalogues - they are free!

Hmm... those dahlia's are rather nice though..

13 comments:

HappyMouffetard said...

I nearly succumbed to the dahlias, but then noticed that to buy 3 dahlia Chat Noir cost more than 3 x 1 of them. Only 10p difference but I thought the idea was the more you bought, the cheaper it got.

So I didn't, on principle.

HappyMouffetard said...

PS I'm also quite pleased that they don't know when to use an apostrophe. I think (admittedly a bit shaky on it myself).

Fat Rascal said...

Are we related, HM, or were you a teacher once too?

The apostrophe leapt out at me but I attributed it to Arabella!

I didn't want to be the first to mention it though.

Arabella Sock said...

Ha ha! Wrong Fat Rascal! I copied that bit of blurb from the website.
Not that I noticed I have to say.

Anonymous said...

I noticed it but thought she'd set the dogs on me if I mentioned it.
I'm a wuss
Anonjancatmother

aspidistra said...

I remember a couple of years ago she had some sort of gardener's handwash for sale, it was about a tenner or something and the blurb said something along the lines of 'I find its cheap enough for everyday use'. Yeah right. I might agree if it was 99p from Tescos...

Arabella Sock said...

Sarah does have some beautiful stuff for sale and apparently the quality of her seeds is very good plus you have to add on a bit for the pleasure of buying from somewhere nice rather than Wilkinson's. Even so some of her prices are really just taking the p!

Lia Leendertz said...

Ooh i came so close to buying loads of her dahlias about a week ago. Didn't notice that sneaky extra 10p, though it convinces me even more that I must resist! But she talks so nice about them and convinces you it's going to be so easy. And that carrot seed could come in handy...

Arabella Sock said...

I don't even like dahlias but after having visited Perch Hill last year I was converted. They really are absolutely gorgeous, rich sensuous colours and not a hint of pompomness. Still... you must resist temptation.. although they are really, really, beautiful.

HappyMouffetard said...

Yes, the dahlias are gorgeous. I keep looking at the new catalogue, but then my eyes light on something else and it hardens my resolve again. For example, 12 sweet pea plants for £28.50!!! You can get 36 plants for £11 from Unwins!

Yolanda Elizabet said...

I only peeked at the prices, honest, and keeled over as a result of it. That much? Are they taking the Michael?

BTW loved their definition of a rich cultural milieu.

Sissinghurst Castle? Isn't that overdoing it a bit as there are just bits and pieces of a castle left, carelessly strewn about.

Anonymous said...

Oh if only I'd read your comments before ordering my seeds.......Useless, useless Sarah Raven. I am still waiting for them and ordered them weeks ago!!!!
Those free carrot seeds will never be planted let alone eaten!

Anonymous said...

you're all a bit pathetic really...apostrophe in a suitable position enough or not?...maybe you should post a comment about it