Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Mystery Guess Special

A guest blog from the Master of Mystery Guesses Martyn Cox


At first glance you could be forgiven for thinking this is the darting tongue of a dwarf pipe snake or perhaps the rough textured skin of brown anole lizard, but of course, you know you'd be completely wrong. After all, this is a gardening quiz, so what you're actually looking at is a close-up of a leaf photographed in my garden. Do you know what plant it is from? If you do, post your answer below. If you don't, have a wild stab in the dark or make an educated guess. As always, there are no prizes for winning, but you do get the chance to bathe in the glory of being Mystery Guess champion of the week and will be added to the Mystery Guess hall of fame. The answer will be posted in a couple of days.

Let guessing commence.

10 comments:

VP said...

I think we might need to play a game of Dead or Alive first ;)

Rothschild Orchid said...

It looks like Rumex flexuosus to me :o)

Shalini said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Martyn Cox said...

VP, it's definitely alive

VP said...

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree (or just plain barking), but I suddenly thought of the tree around the corner from me - Rhus typhina

James A-S said...

If I say it is a leaf then I have, by default, to get 50%.

Fat Rascal said...

It looks like a watch strap to me!

Will we be getting any clues?

Ms B said...

I have been pondering some witty or clever response to this clue for oh, days now: it looks like a brown leathery leaf to me!

Martyn Cox said...

OK, it's time to reveal the answer. It is...Rumex flexuosus as guessed correctly by star pupil, Rothschild Orchid. Well done and thanks to everyone else that took part. Just in case you're interested, Rumex flexuosus is native to New Zealand, and is a curious ground covering plant with zig-zagging stems covered in these narrow bronze leaves.

Arabella Sock said...

I searched high and low for bronze plants for what was to be my green, gold and bronze border. If only I had known..