Friday, 18 September 2009

Sock got meme'd

Some weeks ago The Constant Gardener tagged me in a meme. The Sock doesn't normally do these but having read other people's answers with interest I had already been thinking what my own might be. Apart from that it fills the space between (hopefully) more interesting posts..

Which words do you use too much in your writing?

diminutive gardening god

Which words do you consider overused in stuff you read?

serial killer

What’s your favourite piece of writing by you?

None of it. I don't feel I write, I blog which is a much more informal and chattier way of putting things across but in my case doesn't really qualify as 'writing'.

What blog post do you wish you’d written?

None of them. Sometimes I wish I had someone else's life but failing that I try and make the best of my own. The same is true of blogging - I find many other blogs interesting, informative, funny, etc. everyone has something different to offer. The joy of them is not just the postings of flowers and gardens but the glimpse into someone else's life, character and quirks. Wanting to write like them is like wanting to be them.

Regrets, do you have a few? Is there anything you wish you hadn’t written?

Having regrets is like wishing for another life - there is no point. I try and learn from what I regret but invariably don't. I almost always wish that I hadn't written whatever it is I have just written.

The one real regret that always comes to mind is that as an 8 year old travelling in Austria, my mother and I picked a load of wildflowers from a beautiful alpine meadow and pressed them in our hard-backed Austrian guidebook. About 15 years later I decided to make a collage and took these exquisitely aged and delicate memories of our holiday, glued them to a canvas and painted over them. Tragic! I just can't believe I did this.


How has your writing made a difference?

Blogging gives me a purpose, a focus and and an outlet for my imagination. The reason why I started blogging was because I love using photoshop and creating gifs and mini-movies which need an audience, no matter how small, because creating them into a void is pointless.

My blog is my escape and Arabella Sock is often more me than I am.

Name three favourite words

Huffety. Fat Rascal uses this one to describe people who have flounced off muttering to themselves, as in "they have gone all huffety". On googling to see if the word actually existed I found that Ian Dury and the Blockheads had a song called 'Huffety Puff'.

Utter. Such a great adjective it completely changes the description. An 'utter bastard' is so much more of a bastard than just a bastard.

Scrumptious. I thought I might as well stick with the 'uhh' sound but scrumptious is a lovely warm, friendly word.

…And three words you’re not so keen on

Staycation This must be the worst word ever and one that the media seemed determined to thrust on us this summer. This BBC reports states "the British seaside holiday, now known as the staycation". What normal person in the whole of Britain would actually use this word? Surely it should be a 'stoliday'.

Christmas. I just don't like the whole Christmas thing.

Whatever. Rudeness should always be more creative than one word handed out to the masses and now rolling off the lips of the unimaginative everywhere. 'Get-a-life' is another one.

Do you have a writing mentor, role model or inspiration?

I take inspiration from everything. People are endlessly fascinating although not always in a good way. Music inspires me and I always have a very clear image of the scenes the music is portraying for me. When I am working on a soundtracked mini-movie the audioline will dictate the next scene. In a different life I would have liked to work on music videos.

What’s your writing ambition?

I would like to be able to write well enough to actually say something serious occasionally.

Plug alert! List any work you would like to tell your readers about:

Dan Brown's got his new book out!! What more could anyone want?

16 comments:

VP said...

I saw (and heard) a preview of Dan Pearson's book at the Hay Festival. It's mouthwatering and The Gower's one of his inspirational places.

What's not to like?

Arabella Sock said...

Tee hee VP! You got your Dan's mixed up. I said Dan Brown - you must have been unable to belief your eyes and translated this as the more realistic Dan Pearson.

Fat Rascal said...

I did exactly the same - read Brown as Pearson. It's one of those tricks the brain plays on you.

EFR gets huffety puffety when a mole dares trespass on his property. He does huff and puff and gives me a certain look which somehow suggests it's my fault. That is known as the moleage face.

I know what a meme is now, but where does it come from? Is it Me! Me! it's all about Me! (genuine question)

Arabella Sock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arabella Sock said...

I will never be able to think of EFR without the moleage face. The Bedsock has one of those certain looks too. :( :(

Anyway memes.. which are not pronounced to rhyme with stems like I thought. I don't think you are far wrong Fat Rascal - it does appear to be about self promotion on the internet. I'm never going to do another one because people don't come here to read about me they turn up for the bottoms.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

It seems like everybody and her/his biscuit is doing a meme, isn't it?

Dan Brown as in The Davinci Code? Ewwww, I much prefer a book by the other Dan. ;-)

Lia Leendertz said...

i know memes are a bit odd and a bit self-aggrandising, but i really enjoyed this little peek behind the veil of the sock

Dawn said...

Where are the bottoms?

I am leaving now in a huffety fashion. When I return I hope to see both bottoms and diminutive gardening gods...

VP said...

Dawn - I might have something in the diminutive gardening god line later this week as he's speaking at a seminar I'm going to on Thursday.

BTW - I think my brain couldn't cope with switching away from gardening type Dan's to those of a different ilk ;)

VP said...

PS I always thought 'staycation' was when you stopped at home and went out on day trips?

Arabella Sock said...

Oooh VP -- how exciting. I do hope you get lots of photos of the diminutive gardening god (including some of his bottom) and look forward to a full report.

VP said...

I'm supposed to be all business like and look like I'm prepared to spend a lot of money buying thousands of plants later on in the day. So, I'm a bit worried about how I can take my paparazzi snaps to show off to you all.

I think I might get rumbled early on at the seminar's registration as I'm anticipating my name badge will say my business is Veg Plotting and I fully expect the first thing my fellow badge wearers will ask is What's that?

VP said...

I just had to tell you that WV now says pings and I'm all a-giggle :)

Arabella Sock said...

Veg Plotting is great for a name badge! Good for giving people a way to break the ice with you. I'm thinking of getting some really snazzy business cards with Arabella Sock - Sea of Immeasurable Gravy on them! Then when people go ...uuh?.. I can say imperiously "Don't you realise who I am?"

The Constant Gardener said...

nice one Arabella! am very chuffed you decided to pick up as I figured you didn't really do memes. But I tagged you anyway. So ner.

Stolidays.... it just says knotted handkerchiefs, doesn't it?

and if I may brag a little... I went to interview the divine Mr Pearson about his book the other week. Mmmm-hmmm. The book's lovely, too....

Arabella Sock said...

Oh.. now that really isn't fair! First VP and CB and now you and the delightful Dan!

There must be a bit of eye candy around for the Sock surely!