Saturday, 5 December 2009

Advent Countdown - December 5th

The Sock must share some worrying news with you. Anyone with a gardening book being flogged on the Christmas market (and the Sock knows you are all out there) may wish to take note of the lack of interest displayed in the Gardening book sections of the following chain bookstores in Brighton.

Waterstones had merely two small 'bays' of  gardening books which weren't even crammed full.  There was no table display or anything to entice you to the section which the Sock had some difficulty finding.  No Anna Pavords 'Bulbs', no Mark Diacono's 'Veg Patch: River Cottage Handbook' and not even a Monty Don's 'Ivington Diaries'.  It didn't exactly look like they had suddenly sold out of these.  The Sock asked a sales assistant whether they had the Monty Don book and was told it was on the shelf.  "No it isn't" said the Sock "Yes it is there" said the assistant.  "No it isn't" repeated the Sock "but don't worry I wouldn't be buying it anyway."  The Sock did briefly think about buying Dan Pearson and Beth Chatto's 'Spirit: Garden Inspiration' but as they were all wrapped in celophane and there was no open copy to browse through, she didn't bother.

On to Border's which was closing down - the reason they might be closing down was that at best the Gardening book selection was poor. Now not even a bargain could tempt the Sock to splash out.

W.H. Smith's isn't a place the Sock usually shops but it does normally have a decent supply of charity Christmas cards.  OK the donations from the cards are a small percentage but better than nothing.  After searching for the charity cards for some time the Sock eventually found an assistant who pointed her to a half hidden display of 6 different boxes of charity cards amongst the many dozens of W.H. Smith own label, non-charity cards. Bah Humbug!  Another rubbish gardening book selection although they did have Monty's book and a whole load of Titchmarsh's 'How to garden' series which bore an uncanny resemblance to the shape and size of the original D.G. Hessayon ones.  Double Bah Bumbug!


The Sock was therefore quite cheered to find behind today's chubby cheribum a cute glass bauble to hang on the Christmas tree.

14 comments:

Rothschild Orchid said...

I hate it when they wrap a book in plastic so you can't paw the pages. I think it must be a cunning ploy to make you buy them. I have two books on my Christmas list. Dan Pearson's Spirit and Noel Kingsbury's Natural Garden Style: Gardening Inspired by Nature. Both of which are always covered in plastic when I see them in the shops ...obviously I have no intention of actually reading them, I just want to have the pleasure of tearing the plastic off them!

RO :o)

P.S. I love your advent calendar posts, they are pure genius! xx

great big bloomers said...

Hello hello!!!
Was that the sock we saw in disguise on G. world last night @Chelsea F Show........or is it your double??

great big bloomers said...

How about some cute little Heucheras in ballballs for the tree??

HappyMouffetard said...

A slightly used copy of Dan Pearson's book to anyone who wants one. It's nice, but probably wouldn't read it again. email me (email address on my blog).

HappyMouffetard said...

When I say anyonje who wants one, I've only got one copy, so the above statement was a bit of an exaggeration...

Carrie said...

Thank goodness for Chris, he cheers the Sock right up, golly what a depressing day otherwise. I was worried about the Sock fraying with stress!

VP said...

If you go onto Amazon to view Spirit, you'll see the review what I wrote. The comments conversation's quite good too!

Arabella Sock said...

That is so funny because I had read that review and I had a vague thought it was you VP! I think I might have to open the celophane on one and have a good snout at it before I buy, I'm hoping to go to Wisley next week and they have the best range of Gardening books to browse around, obviously.

I wrote a review of Monty Don's 'Around the World in 80 Gardens' on Amazon and after a month someone complained and it got deleted! Ha ha ha!

Arabella Sock said...

Hello Great Big Bloomers - are you a Heucheraholic by any chance? My Lime Rickey brightens up the garden even in spite of the dismal rain we've had. I may spray the ones near my kitchen patio doors with glitter so it will all look lovely and festive!

Happy M. You are damning Dan with faint praise, I fear. I hope your book goes to a good home. I noticed Dan Pearson was pushing Anna Pavord's 'Bulb' book in the Observer mag today.. I may need to have it.

great big bloomers said...

Hi Arabella
Yes sadly........you have sussed it ..is the cover blown away.....I am the biggest heucheraholic of all.....ps...I think they have t.shirts,mouse mats,pens,posters and vouchers........

Plant Mad Nige said...

Erm, just to get the balance right, on heucheras, can i just say that the Heuchera and Glyphosate are a marriage made in heaven?

(Probably just as well this post is old enough, now, for most peops to miss my rudeness.)

great big bloomers said...

Ha Ha Nige!!!
Never too late.....
Oh la la Glyposate and Heucheras......
You are treading in avery dangerous corner
I suggest Arabella gets Spook the cat to scratch your eyes out!!!!!MEOW!!!!

HappyMouffetard said...

Arabella, the book is very good, a thought-provoking read and with great photos, but I don't think it is one that I will return to, unlike some books I have. And it has found a good and loving home, as soon as I get round to posting it. The photos of the Japanese gardens are fascinating.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Before I buy a book I want to look at it properly, sans celophane, and if there's not one without it, I simply walk away without buying the book. I think book shops lose quite a few sales over that, silly them.

BTW you're not going to buy Monty's Diary? Shocking! ;-)

Love the bauble, I want one too. Gimme!!!!!!