Thursday, 1 July 2010

Moth Balls

Fighting my way through the tomatoes into the greenhouse I noticed this, rather fine, large moth on the window

 

It was surrounded by fluorescent green balls which I assume are its eggs.  You can see how large it is in comparison to the fly.


Does anyone know what sort of moth it is?  More importantly should I remove the eggs - are they going to be pests in anyway?


Note: It turns out this is an 'eyed hawkmoth' and if threatened will show blue and pink 'eyes' from under its wings.  I am now off to shout abuse at it and see if I can get a photo of the eyes!

UPDATE.  Abuse didn't work so I finally gently lift the wing open with a stick so you can see the blue eye!


3 comments:

Ms B said...

Cracking moth Grommit!

Rothschild Orchid said...

Very nice :o)

I do believe it could be an Eyed Hawk-moth (Smerinthus ocellata).

Now be careful not to let Spook see it!

RO xx

Arabella Sock said...

Sadly, this morning I found the moth with it's legs bound together in a spiders web at the top of the greenhouse. It was dead. :( I read that they do die after giving birth but I'm not sure whether that is true or not.

Hours before we left to go on holiday a few weeks ago, Spook turned up with the area above his eye all swollen up and his eye half closed. I rushed him to the vet who charged me £33 to tell me it was probably a sting of some kind although she did stick a thermometer up his bum for good measure. I would normally have left it til the next day to see if the swelling went down but as we were going away I thought it better to get him checked. Now he is not allowed near any insects!!!