Friday, 20 May 2011

Vote vote vote for the man with the hat!

 [A more serious post from the Sock today - if you missed the Malvern mischief read the preceding three blogs.]

Today my copy of the RHS Garden magazine dropped through the door complete with voting forms for new council members.  Now if you are anything like the Sock you will have immediately torn off the voting paper and binned it because you are quite happy to let the RHS muddle on on its own dinosaur-like way because you think it does pretty well overall and all you are really interested in is the shows and gardens.

WELL GET IT OUT OF THE BIN NOW!!!!!!!

This year James Alexander Sinclair is standing for council - you can read about it here!  The very fact that he is standing at all has made the Sock think that actually she should take more interest in the running of the society and that someone like James can help inject some life and ideas into it, help update its image and be in touch with what the ordinary members who normally bin the voting forms want!

James making the Secret Sign of the Sock!

So please make your vote count.

And if you are not an RHS member why not?

You get free access to the fab RHS gardens at Wisley, Rosemoor, Hyde Hall and Harlow Carr plus occasionally to some affiliated gardens.
You get to attend 'membership day' at the shows (Chelsea, Malvern, Tatton, Cardiff, London Halls etc.) which is worth the membership fee on its own!
You get the Garden Magazine which at worst is highly skimmable and the Sock has found some lovely holiday rentals through the small ads section at the back! In this issue there is a timely article about honeysuckle by Nigel Colborn just when the Sock has been thinking about buying one..
There are loads of courses and events... the Sock could go on and on... but don't just think of what the RHS does for you - think of what the RHS does for horticulture, for education, for the country!!

Even if you fail to attend any of the events it is still money well spent in supporting this institution and the Sock believes with James Alexander Sinclair on the council it will be even more worthwhile!

[Enough over enthusiasm about the RHS already... Ed.]

14 comments:

VP said...

*rushes downstairs to see if her copy's arrived*

Victoria said...

I have voted! I have voted for James! I have even posted my vote! (Good job I voted before I saw the picture of those rather loud green socks. What was it, St Patrick's Day or something?)
The WV is penonsio, which sounds like the name of a rental property you'd find in the classified section at the back of The Garden

Paddy Tobin said...

As Victoria said, he is wearing GREEN socks. Now, we have been delighted to have had the Queen visit us here in Ireland during the last week and especially appreciated her wearing green on disembarking from the royal 'plant but a man with green socks?

However, he is a good chap and would certainly contribute positively to the RHS.

Chelsea Flower Show on Tuesday!

Paddy

Paddy Tobin said...

Sorry, the Queen disembarked from the royal 'plane.

No flying plants, yet.

Arabella Sock said...

Hi Paddy - you are just the person I've been looking for..

Remember Emma 'Snowdrop Hat' lady?
Well she is even more famous now - watch this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/connect/campaigns/firstclickfriends_carol.shtml

Karen - An Artist's Garden said...

OK - if James gets in I WILL join the RHS, promise
K

Sue (aka Trillium) said...

Why hasn't my copy arrived yet?#checksrecyclingbin

Anonymous said...

Arabella, Sorry for being so slow to return to this. I'm afraid I got no good from the link to Emma Thick, the Snowdrop Hat Lady; it just won't work for me.

Back home from visits to Great Dixter (horrible garden), Sissinghurst, Kew, Chelsea Flower Show, Chelsea Physic Gardens. My legs are several inches shorter but we(the missus and I) had a great time.

Paddy

Anonymous said...

Arabella, eventually made my way to the link but the BBC won't allow us Irish to view. Now, we were good enough for the Queen but not the BBC it seems.

Paddy

Anonymous said...

OK, managed to circumvent the BBC's restrictions and viewed the page but no sign of Snowdrop Hat Lady.

?

Paddy

Arabella Sock said...

Hi Paddy

If you get to Carol's video on this page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/connect/campaigns/firstclickfriends_carol.shtml

it is about 3.45 minutes in. Snowdrop hat lady's hat gets a mention.

The Beeb are mean about their online stuff - my friends in mainland Europe can't get the iplayer stuff.

What do you mean you don't like Great Dixter!!!!! You have reminded me I must visit Chelsea Physic garden - I always think about it when I'm at the CHelsea show but too exhausted to do it then!

Anonymous said...

Finally, Arabella, I have managed to sneak past the BBC's exclusions zone and have found Emma and her hat - very funny how she attracts attention.

Tell your friends on the Continent to download a programme called "Expatshield" and they will then be able to use BBC iPlayer and watch the BBC channels live.

Great Dixter? Always loved Christopher Lloyd's books, really enjoyed his style and somewhat irreverent comments on gardening styles and plant use. However, on my first visit, my immediate reaction was that this man was writing fiction. It was a wilderness, it lacked care and attention, it was weedy, it hid the wonderful Lutchens features. It was always his contention that a solid framework - hedges, pathways and walls - allowed a profusion and exuberance of planting within which one could not employ in other situations. However, on my visit last Sunday, I felt that even the framework had declined to being unkempt and a rag a taggle, poorly maintained now surrounded a mish-mash of self-seeding poor quality plants. There was not even the redemption of this much vaunted glaring colour to save the situation (= distract the eye of the beholder from the mess).

Apologies if am stepping on proud nationalistic toes but that is how I see it. It is the perfect example of the Emperor's new clothes in my opinion.

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed a visit to Sissinghurst Castle. Kew Gardens is one of the gardening treasures of the world - and we spent 7 hours walking around. The Chelsea Flower Show was, as always, enjoyable though I thought the gardens were not of as good a standard as previous years. I was glad to see Diarmuid Gavin get a gold medal at long last and sad to see that Ambrose Congreve, of Mount Congreve Gardens, Waterford, just a few miles from me here, died in London while there to attend the show. A good way to go at 104 years of age. His garden is quite simply the best spring garden in the world.

Enough - I could waffle for Ireland.

Best wishes, Paddy

Arabella Sock said...

Thanks for that info Paddy my expat friends will be pleased.

It's nteresting your view on Great Dixter - not stepping on toes at all. I went last autumn and found it wonderfully vibrant but I'm no expert and I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea. I must revisit Sissinghurst I haven't been for years.

I see Diarmuid's garden is causing controversy in Ireland over the cost. I loved what I could see of it but felt cheated out of seeing it properly which could only be done on TV or in the event his pink pod getting off the ground.

Paddy Tobin said...

I have to agree with your comment on Diarmuid Gavin's garden - it was such a pity that one couldn't view the garden properly. I saw more of it on the television on my return home than I did at the show.

Yes, ructions over the money - he seems to be a little vague about where costs were incurred and included a 50,000Euro consultancy fee for each of the next two years as well as a 30,000Euro fee for research on each of the coming two years. That adds up to 80,000Euro for two years. Nice!

Paddy